Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Lenten Reading




I forgot what I was giving up for Lent. The first time. The second time, I remembered, a little bit too late. Oh well, I said to myself. Of course it was done and that’s no excuse, but it is an explanation. And, thanks to my Lenten reading, I am reminded that that is not what Lent is about.


Lent is about forgiveness. It is not, really, in its depths, about giving up, or taking on, something, some thing or practice.


And it is not even about screwing up when you fail to keep a holy Lent. If you don’t fail, even if you keep perfectly to your practice, it is not about that. Because life with God is not about screwing up or doing things or not doing things. It is about grace. 


I’ve just been reading one of Reyna Grande’s older novels, “Dancing with Butterflies”, which, spoiler alert, is about forgiveness.


Everybody screws up, fails, themselves or each other. Ultimately, though, if you reach out for it, undeserved, or even unearned, grace is there. 


We cannot be intact and holy in our own perfection. But we can receive the gifts of imperfection, of realizing we are sinners too - people in need of grace, always imperfect, but getting better. 


It’s about forgiveness. Give it a try. 

No comments: