Sunday, March 28, 2021

the fullness of love



Let me tell you a story - a story of hope. 

There were palm fronds growing by the path and I cut them loose from the tree


when I was done with them I discarded them in the waste ground behind the garden wall

there  they lay

was I in the crowd


oh yes I am in the crowd


I’m always in the crowd


we are right he is the Messiah he is wonderful counselor Almighty God everlasting father prince of peace and he is coming


 as promised 


he arrives on an unridden colt and we cheer 


hosanna save us that’s what hosanna means save us save us anointed one expected one


the palm fronds lay behind the wall drying until the next spring when someone asked for dried palm fronds to reduce to Ash


in Jerusalem six years ago early in the morning I felt I should get up and go and I walked through the town from the Gloria hotel near the Jaffa gate to the church


the church that has two names


one is the church of the holy sepulcher


there was almost no one there


a priest gathered a small group of people at the bottom of a stair and I asked him 


I don’t know what I’m looking at what should I look at and he said


well you want to go up the stairs that’s Calvary


then you want to go over to that little building inside the building that is the chapel with the tomb


later that day I went into the chapel and lay my forehead on the cool marble slab in the inner room


my eyes closed


it was dark so dark


I felt nothing


I lost track of time


then I heard a gasp of breath and I opened my eyes leaned away got up and went out


the attendant said yes Fr.


and I walked out into the larger church which has another name the church of the Resurrection


but not yet not today


we are still at the tomb with our eyes closed waiting for the light to dawn


between then and now we gather at a table and he is there and he says to us as he breaks the bread and passes it around


this is my body broken for you


the true Paschal Lamb offers himself for us


at the end of the meal he takes the cup blesses it giving thanks to God and gives it to us and says


this is my blood the blood of the new covenant remember this


remember this whenever you drink it


and so we remember also the offering Abraham made of his own son


And God reckoned  that faith of Abraham unto him for righteousness


it wasn’t killing his son that saved him it was his faith


and so even today as we without bread or wine in our hands offer our faith as our gift to God 


and it is through that faith that he redeems us 


it is through his act in which we have faith that he has made us whole


* * *


Racism. White supremacy. Sexism. Gun violence. Madness. Human nature. Human condition. Much more for Jesus to bear than a donkey could carry more than David’s heir alone could bear could restore or return to normal. And so we are not at the happy ending yet. No headless chocolate bunny, or flowers, or colored eggs.

Until we come to know

that he came to bear the whole weight of our condition.

We are not marketing a narrative of fear - we tell a story of hope.

God showed hospitality in creating the world. God shows compassion to the world he created. He now shares in our condition. For, though he was in the form of God, he did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death— even death on a cross. Phil 2.6-8

Where is there hope?


There is hope not because he avoided the human condition but because he took it on. When Jesus healed people he made them whole -

they became fully alive, they shined! And when he raised them from the dead it was not the resuscitation of a corpse: it was resurrection! May we listen with charity and patience. May we comfort where comfort is needed and celebrate where celebration is called for. May we meet challenges with courage compassion competence and commitment. And may we who follow him follow him,

shouldering our own crosses,

as he carries all to the cross and beyond.

And may we in the fullness of life radiate the love of God.

Amen.


Palm Sunday

28 March 2021
Sunday of the Passion: Palm Sunday

https://www.lectionarypage.net/YearB_RCL/HolyWeek/BPalmSun_RCL.html

The Liturgy of the Palms

The Liturgy of the Word

JRL+

"narrative of fear" - Mark Adams, Frontera de Cristo, quoted by Tim Steller in the Arizona Daily Star, March 28th 2021, B5. 

https://iona.org.uk/about-us/prayer/outside-holiness-material-for-holy-week-2021/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrNY-DEWDx0

"Our faith is our gift to God; through it, he redeems us." Keeping the Faith, Arizona Daily Star, April 4th 2021, E3.d

No comments: